An effective investigator must possess a variety of skills to achieve the desired objective. This course examines some of those skills and the impact that they have on the outcome of an investigation. It provides insight on the impact that a professional image has on an investigation and examines the role that ethics play in the interaction with witnesses and the case development. The course also demonstrates the value of courtroom preparation and focuses on courtroom testimony as an important element in achieving a conviction.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will possess the requisite knowledge to:
- Describe the importance of maintaining a professional image;
- Describe the impact that professional ethics has on a law enforcement investigation;
- List the framework of rules that govern an investigation;
- Define the elements of good report writing; and
- List the essentials of steps in preparing to testify.
Mark recently closed out his 24- year career as the Director of the Marine Corps’ Military Police School. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science/Criminal Justice from North Carolina State University and a Master’s Degree in Military Studies from The Marine Corps University. He is a graduate of the FBI National Academy (251st Session).
Mark has served in numerous law enforcement assignments including Watch Commander, Operations Officer (Patrol, K-9 and SRT), Services Officer, Director of Security and Emergency Services (Police, Fire and EMS), and Chief of Police for a 600-man department.