Conflict resolution within an agency can be very difficult. Some action, even if that is deliberate non-action, must take place. But how do we understand conflict, and when is it out of line.Very few leaders fail because of their inability to deal with success. Typically, failure results from an inability to deal with problems.
This course is approved for continuing education credits by Missouri POST, American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (ABMDI)
In the real world, not everything goes well, not everyone is happy, there is always bad news as well as good, troubled waters as well as smooth.
Conflict has four basic principles
- Not all conflict is bad
- Good conflict may deepen relationships
- Personal growth can occur through conflict
- A model of advocacy may appear to be contention when its not conflict
Once a person understands the basic principles of conflict it is easier to then see the five primary causes for conflict within any organization.
The five primary causes of conflict are.
- Conflict is frequently because of unmatched expectations
- Conflict is caused by the mounting number of buried hurts, slights, and insults.
- A major cause of conflict is unexpressed fears. (and jealousy)
- Competition for limited resources can cause conflict.
- Conflict escalates in a hostile and failing environment.
Not all conflict is bad and not all conflict needs a supervisor’s attention. But certain guidelines can be used to determine whether conflict is a problem that needs attention or can just be tolerated and observed.
Conflict is out of line if it inhibits those involved from participating in the mission and functions of the organization. Also, when conflict damages the reputation of the agency, it needs resolution. When conflict distracts from the larger task of the organization, or is along vertical lines of authority, it is wrong and needs attention.
However, simply knowing that conflict exists and that it is out of line and needs attention, is only the beginning. What qualities must a supervisor or ‘peace maker’ have to properly resolve the conflict between two parties or groups.
- An ability to facilitate communication – to get other people talking.
- The ability to humanize the conflict
- The ability to be comfortable with conflict
This is an online video training and is designed to be interactive with students by random quizzes and final exam. Student login time is tracked per student to verify time spent in the course if needed. Testing cannot be done until videos are watched. Each video has a unique symbol or picture that will appear prominently during the video and is part of the test questions, this will insure the video has been watched. Certificates will only be available for print after success completion of the final exam and the course evaluation.
Each certificate will indicate that it was an online training and will note the post control number and the CLEE hours given.